Types of Dentures
Dr Bari Dental Clinic provides the highest level of service and craft man ship in fitting and fabricating dentures. We aim to do our best to exceed your expectations by offering a service that is perfectly tailored to meet your needs, expectations and budget.
A complete denture is a removable appliance replacing all of the natural teeth and the associated tissues and is supported entirely by the gums. It may be made to replace either an upper or lower arch or both arches. The base of the denture is made of gum-coloured acrylic which typically in the shades of pink. The denture may be reinforced with metal or Fiber Force for extra strength. The teeth are made of acrylic or porcelain.
The style of denture that best suits your needs is discussed during your first consultation. Any characteristic color may be imparted to the Denture to replicate the exact color of gums of the patient. At Dr Bari Dental Clinic we have a varied collection of highly esthetic teeth sets to meet your demands.
- Esthetically pleasing as it allows you to experience a complete smile, improves facial esthetics by supporting the lips and cheek.
- Most economical treatment option for replacing all teeth in the upper or lower arch.
- Helps improve speech, chewing problem that was associated to loss of teeth
- May feel bulky compared to other types of dentures
- May not be as stable compared to other option if the patient suffers from excessive tooth loss
- Complete dentures may need to be relined from time to time to help remain stable
Partial dentures may be given when a patient has only a few teeth missing. A partial denture is removable and helps provide support natural teeth and gums. They are broadly classified into three types:
1) Acrylic Partial Denture
It is made entirely in acrylic. This acrylic base is pink and is a close match of the natural gum color. Metal clips may be added on the denture hold it in place around the natural teeth.
2) Cast Partial Denture
A Cast Partial Denture is an extremely thin and provide the best fit amongst all partial denture types. Its thickness is typically about 1/3rd than that of an acrylic partial denture, and offers much more comfort to the patient. The denture teeth are held in place using gum colored acrylic. The bases of these dentures are casted in either Cobalt Chrome metal or Titanium. Acrylic resin is then attached to it which holds the teeth in their place. Titanium bases provide for the best fitting, lightest option in Cast Partial Dentures.
3) Flexi Denture
A flexi denture is a small denture made from a highly flexible material. They are typically used for smaller partial dentures where there are natural teeth on either side of the missing tooth space so that the denture may lock securely into place. These dentures are typically used in highly aesthetic locations where no metal should be visible.
The advantages of a partial denture include:
- Improve appearance as the partial denture will fill in the gaps produced from loss of a tooth. This will allow you to regain your confidence.
- They help prevent movement of natural teeth as a consequence of missing tooth. When a tooth is lost, the neighboring teeth shift in the missing space and the opposing teeth over-erupt to fill the space. This may lead to food impaction, gum disease and tooth decay
- Relieves the pressure off other teeth. Fewer the teeth in your mouth more is the stress and pressure on those teeth.
Disadvantages of a partial denture include:
- An increased risk of the amount of plaque in the mouth if proper oral hygiene and denture cleanliness is not maintained. This can result into tooth decay, or gum disease.
- If the partial denture is poorly fitted, it could lead to trauma to your gums
IMPLANT SUPPORTED DENTURES
Implant supported dentures are one of the best options to replace a complete set of teeth. At Bari Dental Clinic Pune we make top quality Implant Supported Dentures that provide the best of both worlds, incorporating the retentive quality of implants and affordability of dentures.
Traditional dentures, however, come with a number of disadvantages. Some of them include:
- The prosthesis takes support from oral tissues, sometimes causing them to be unstable and moving in the mouth.
- Talking and eating could be difficult.
- Its retention and stability depends upon the remaining jaw bone in the patient’s mouth, which if inadequate may compromise it causing instability and falling out of the dentures.
- Denture Adhesives could be required to hold them in the mouth.
- Traditional dentures may result into mouth sores.
- The adjustment period with traditional dentures may be long.
Implant supported prosthesis on the other hand, have a number of advantages like:
- They prevent bone loss as they mimic a tooth and its root.
- Connecting a denture to an implant provides for a retention from beneath the bone hence making it stable and free from any movements. Such a denture is extremely successful in performing its intended functions viz. Chewing and speaking.
- Taking care of implant supported prosthesis is similar to that of natural teeth.
- There is no adjustment period with these prostheses.
- They feel and look natural in the patient’s mouth
Are you a fit candidate for Implant supported Prosthesis/ Dentures?
During your first consultation at Dr Bari Dental, a careful analysis of your jaw bone quality and quantity is done. Any comorbidities, if present, are to be reported at this stage. If required, a 3D scan of the jaw bone may be advised to you. By studying all these factors, it is determined whether you are fit for implant therapy.